The story of Sargisons begins with namesake and founder, Harold Frances Sargison (1885 - 1983.)
After completing a five year apprenticeship to a local jeweller, Harold set up shop in 1905 in Elizabeth Street, Hobart. He later relocated the business to 125 Liverpool St - where it is still located today.
Harold made a name for himself as a fine craftsman and reputable jeweller. He retired in his nineties after supervising the making of a set of sterling silver serving spoons commissioned in 1981, as a wedding gift from Tasmanians for Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.
Harold Sargison's work is represented in public collections, including the National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, and the Powerhouse Museum, Sydney.
The heart of current day Sargisons is made up of our company directors: Gavin Cowell, his wife Beth Ellingworth and her son Charles Wyatt. All three are jewellers and qualified diamond graders. Gavin acquired Sargisons in 1996 and has managed the store and specialized in repairing jewellery and creating custom made fine jewellery since.
At Sargisons we currently have four jewellers working on site who specialize in creating custom one off pieces of fine jewellery including engagement rings and wedding rings. They also specialize in remodelling existing jewellery and in all forms of jewellery repair and restoration.